Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Come Unto Christ

The 2014 theme for our church youth was "Come Unto Christ". We are preparing for our Young Women in Excellence, an annual celebration of the year's goals and accomplishments by our amazing young women. I was put in charge of the podium/front of the room display. Here's my idea for a visual focal point.


Materials
(I got all the materials at Hobby Lobby, a nationwide chain craft store.)
  • Letters. I chose a wooden C and the other letters are metal. I liked how they fit on the canvas and how they looked overlapping.
  • Painters canvas. Mine measured 20"x24", but you select the size based on your letters.

  • E6000 glue. I didn't trust my glue gun to hold the letters onto the canvas. This works *EVERY* time.

  • Swirly flourish stickers. I picked mine to accent the letter "C" in black. I used 2 packs.

  • Gold spray paint. I tried to use other acrylic type paint, but it just looked messy. Use the spray paint for a clean finish and sharp edges on the chevron pattern.
  • 1/2" painters tape to mask off the chevron pattern on the canvas. I used blue tape as you can see in the next pictures.

Instructions


1. Measure your chevron pattern and mask off the lines. Don't forget to wrap around the edge of the canvas. Rub that tape down so that the edges will be crisp.

2. Spray paint the whole thing. Don't forget the edges! Let dry (about 20 minutes) then peel off the tape.


  

3. Lay out your letters on the canvas. You can even use vinyl lettering, of course.


4. Once you are happy with the placement of the letters, glue them down.

5. Add the sticker embellishment. I also added vinyl letter cut outs.
6. Display proudly.


No comments:

Post a Comment